Snails’ new album, The Shell, pushes the boundaries of bass music in a completely new and unique direction.
Snails‘ new album, The Shell, is everything and more a fan could want out of a debut album. From start to finish, each track stays true to what Snails is known for – his signature style of sound called “vomitstep.”
Throughout the twelve tracks featured on the album, listeners are taken on a voyage through a war-torn world as the Vomitsquad rises to power. Each of these tracks are extremely diverse and utilize various vocalists and rappers as well. In typical Snails fashion, there is no lack of disgusting, gross noises – most of which you will have never heard before, until now.
Over the past few years, Snails has become a staple of the bass music world. I remember seeing him on the Hard Summer 2014 lineup playing right as the festival started at noon, and within the next year, he was playing EDC Las Vegas. Since then he has headlined many events and seems to have an ever-growing fanbase.
Snails’ rise to fame is due to his truly unique sound that he crafted for himself. It has been an awesome experience seeing his development as an artist all the way up until this very moment of his album release.
His music is produced so meticulously that you can hear every detail that goes into each sound, and that is evident on The Shell in its entirety.
Stream Snails – The Shell on Spotify:
Purchase or Download The Shell here!
Snails and Big Gigantic create another hit early on within the album!
“Feel The Vibe”, the third track, is where the album kicks off in my opinion. The track is a collaborative effort between Big Gigantic and popular reggae vocalist, Collie Buddz.
Big Gigantic and Snails have previously worked together, but the addition of Collie Buddz makes this entire track feel like a big party!
“WFSU” adds on to the party vibe in the best way possible.
I think I am slightly partial to any track where I see Waka Flocka Flame. He’s been working with dance music artists for a few years and anytime you hear his voice over a track, it is pretty much synonymous with heavy production.
The pairing with Snails gives listeners exactly that. You get Waka Flocka’s wild rapping at the beginning of the track and Snails’ vomitstep production at the drop. It’s an unbelievably hype song that will surely be played out in festival sets!
Snails provides a crazy and unique anthem for all of his fans.
“The Anthem” is exactly what the title entails. It’s the “vomitsquad” anthem for Snails’ fans. The track has heavy metal guitar riffs and metal vocalists Liam Cormier and Travis Richter on it and is wild from the very beginning to the end.
The real kicker of this song though is the actual drop. It can only be described as something that will absolutely rip through festival crowds and make you want to headbang. This track is definitely my favorite one on this album.
Dion Timmer and Snails join forces on “Forever”.
“Forever” is one of the last tracks on the album and joins Snails, Dion Timmer, and vocalist KLP.
The track begins with KLP’s vocals alongside a soft piano melody, which provides a calm break between all of the other songs and this one. However, the song quickly picks up and drops into a bass-heavy metallic beast of a song!
While those are my favorite tracks, the entire album is fantastic!
The Shell is a magnificent album. Every single song has its place in the album as a whole and it distinguishes Snails from the rest of the artists in the bass music world.
Snails stayed true to his signature sound while still making the album something that everyone can enjoy. There’s no doubt that I will be listening to this album for months to come and I hope you will as well!
If you want more of The Shell or Snails check him out on his tour!
Snails – The Shell Tracklist:
- SNAILS – “The Shell (Intro)”
- SNAILS – “Smack Up (feat. Foreign Beggars)”
- SNAILS & Big Gigantic – “Feel The Vibe (feat. Collie Buddz)”
- SNAILS – “Into The Light (feat. Sarah Hudson)”
- SNAILS & Waka Flocka Flame – “WFSU”
- SNAILS & Hytyd – “To The Grave (feat. MAX)”
- SNAILS & NGHTMRE – “Only Want U (feat. Akylla)”
- SNAILS – “The Rise (Interlude) (Feat. Varien)”
- SNAILS – “The Anthem (feat. Liam Cormier & Travis Richter)”
- SNAILS – “Russian Roulette (feat. Panther)”
- SNAILS & Dion Timmer – “Forever (feat. KLP)”
- SNAILS – “King Is Back (feat. Big Ali) (SNAILS & Sullivan King Metal Remix)”
The Shell Tour – Slugz City Edition Dates
- 11/16 – Vancouver, BC – Venue
- 11/17 – Seattle, WA – Tacoma Dome
- 11/18 – Missoula, MT – Wilma
- 11/22 – San Francisco, CA – Armory
- 11/24 – Los Angeles, CA – Palladium
- 11/25 – Orange County, CA – Observatory
- 11/26 – Las Vegas, NV – The Joint
- 11/28 – Albuquerque, NM – Sunshine Theater
- 11/29 – El Paso, TX – Tricky Falls
- 11/30 – Houston, TX – Stereo Live
- 12/1 – Austin, TX – Emos
- 12/2 – Dallas, TX – South Side
- 12/3 – Fayetteville, AR – George’s
- 12/5 – Memphis, TN – New Daisy Theater
- 12/6/ – Urbana, IL – Canopy Club
- 12/7 – St Louis, MO – Pageant
- 12/8 – Minneapolis, MN – Skyway
- 12/9 – Detroit, MI – Royal Oak
- 12/10 – Grand Rapids, MI – Intersection
- 12/15 – Philadelphia, PA – Fillmore
- 12/16 – New York City, NY – Terminal 5
- 12/17 – Richmond, VA – The National
- 12/18 – Baltimore, MD – Rams Head
- 12/20 – Norfolk, VA – Norva
- 12/21 – Nashville, TN – Global Events Center
- 12/22 – Charlotte, NC – Fillmore
- 12/23 – Atlanta, GA – Tabernacle
- 12/26 – Albany, NY – Upstate Concert Hall
- 12/27 – Worcester, MA – The Palladium
- 12/28 – Montreal, QC – Metropolis
- 12/29 – Toronto, ON – Danforth
- 12/30 – Chicago, IL – Aragon