For this week’s Throwback Thursday we teleport back to the early years of the new millennium to relive the magic of A State Of Trance Top 20 of 2001!
With the May 2001 launch of A State Of Trance, the iconic radio show that would ultimately rise to fame as a leading trance tastemaker and label brand comes the very first A State Of Trance Top 20! The top tracks were chosen by the people and broadcasted on December 27, 2001, on ID&T Radio with faithful listeners locked in for the ride. As we near the end of yet another massive year for dance music it seems only appropriate that we would highlight the show that has dominated the airwaves with unyielding class and flair for over 17 years.
Recorded in Dutch (this would later change to English in order to reach the international circuit), artists such as Lange, Ferry Corsten, Tiesto, and Airwave set the pace for an uplifting climb to euphoria as they set the bar quite high for many more year-end editions to follow. Of course, there would have to be a spot reserved for the tune of the year. For the inaugural top 20 episode, it should come as no surprise that fans would choose Armin Van Buuren‘s classic alias Rising Star as the focal point of the auditory party, unleashing “Clear Blue Moon” as the direct representative for a year packed full of pivotal genre-shaping productions.
To relive ASOT’s past with this particular mix fills my heart with glorious nostalgia as Marco V’s “Simulated” and Rank 1’s “Awakening” are just two examples of the first trance tracks that I had ever had the pleasure to hear. With their essence lingering in my soul it would be years later that I would fall head over heels in love with a genre saturated in powerful melodies and emotional connotations. So, without further ado, continue on and prepare your feet for a dance into trance music’s illustrious history!
After you are done soaking up the past make sure to fast forward back to the present with A State Of Trance Year Mix 2018!
Stream Armin van Buuren – A State Of Trance 028 (Top 20 of 2001) on YouTube:
Armin van Buuren – A State Of Trance Top 20 of 2001 – Tracklist:
- Signum – First Strike (20)
- OceanLab- Clear Blue Water (Ferry Corsten Remix) (19)
- Ayumi Hamasaki – Appears (Armin van Buuren’s Sunset Dub) (18)
- DJ Cyber – Marco Antonio (17)
- Avalanche – Friendzone (16)
- Sonic Inc – The Taste Of Summer (Fire & Ice Vital Remix) (15)
- Solid Sessions – Janeiro (Pronti & Kalmani Vocal Mix)(14)
- King Of Clubs – Revelation (Airwave Remix) (13)
- Salt Tank – The Energy (DJ Remy Remix) (12)
- Silverblue- Step Back (11)
- Lange – Drifting Away (Lange Sunset Dub) (10)
- DJ Tiësto- Suburban Train (9)
- Trancesetters- The Saga (8)
- Marco V – Simulated (7)
- Accadia – Into The Dawn (James Holden Remix) (6)
- Rank 1 – Awakening (5)
- iiO- Rapture (Armin van Buuren Remix) (4)
- Perpetuous Dreamer – The Sound Of Goodbye (Armin’s Tribal Feel) (3)
- iiO – Rapture (Riva Remix) (2)
- Rising Star – Clear Blue Moon (TuneOf The Year) (1)