IMS returns to Ibiza in April, featuring talks from the industry’s leading voices on topics ranging from AI to diversity and inclusion.
International Music Summit (IMS) brings folks from across music industry together for a weekend of sessions and discussions centered on the culture, education, and state of electronic music. It returns this year – after recently announcing Beatport’s partnership and acquisition of a majority stake – to the Destino Pacha Ibiza Resort form April 26-28 with the theme “Face the Future.” Hosted by BBC Radio 1’s Pete Tong and Jaguar, attendees will join industry leaders, artists, and innovators for three days to dive into topics pertaining to electronic music’s current challenges and the future.
In 2023, we no longer have the luxury of speculating about the future: AI has fully arrived, and things will move fast from this point forward. In our industry’s first full year back to business after COVID, we’re presented with a dizzying array of new products, problems, and possibilities. Artists finally returning to touring do so amongst a huge generational shift and soaring production and travel costs whilst attempting to navigate the increasingly complex environmental issues surrounding live music. As a tidal wave of AI-generated content sweeps in, some welcome a new era of creative possibilities, while others lament the loss of another aspect of humanity in music, all while a cornucopia of unanswered questions are created concerning the control of rights. It’s time for us to collectively ‘Face the Future’.Ben Turner, IMS co-founder and lead curator
IMS Ibiza recently announced its initial lineup of speakers and programs for its 2023 edition. From the rising influence of AI and Web3 to sustainability, understanding music rights to diversity and inclusion, and even the state of music journalism, the topics encompass those most relevant to the growth of the industry today. The IMS Business Report will be presented, as well as Pioneer DJ’s Pioneer Award, among other regular annual programming.
Some notable callouts for this year include:
- Keynote interview from Warner Music Group’s CEO, Recorded Music Max Lousada on his career as well as discussing his vision for the future of WMG
- Rising artist SHERELLE in discussion with pioneers of the drum and bass sound, Fabio & Grooverider, who also played a vital role in establishing the house, techno, and early breakbeat scenes in the UK
- A live recording of the ‘Takin’ Care of Lady Busine$$’ podcast with Jennifer Justice (Founder/CEO, The Justice Dept.) and TOKiMONSTA
- Keynote interview with Fat Tony on his journey of ascent to kingpin of London’s 80s and 90s club scene
- Femme House founder LP Giobbi will lead a Planet in Progress workshop to teach key skills in sound production, engineering, and design for women, queer and non-binary folk.
- Cristiana Simon (Artist Manager, Alegria Agency), manager of Grammy-Award winning artist Black Coffee presents ‘Trust The Process’ where she will share her experiences of taking a leap of faith as a young manager
- Presidential Debates on Agent vs. Promoter and AI: For or Against
In addition to the sessions, attendees can explore a Wellness Space where The Art of Areté will offer daily programming, including meditation, breathwork, yoga, sound healing, sunset walks, and keynote artist interviews. In the Education Space, IMS College and Point Blank Music School have partnered up to offer artist-led workshops and masterclasses, where attendees can receive production feedback, career coaching, and product demos. Then, of course, there are the Legend’s Dinner, After-Parties, and events all throughout Ibiza to enjoy after long days of informative sessions.
Delegate Badges for IMS Ibiza Summit are available to purchase now. For more information and to purchase yours, visit the IMS website.
Initial Speakers For IMS Ibiza 2023
- Max Lousada (CEO, Recorded Music, Warner Music Group) – Keynote Interview
- Sherelle w/ Fabio & Grooverider – In Conversation
- Ben Mawson (Co-Founder, TaP Music) – Reclaim Your Rights: A Case Study with TaP Music Publishing
- Jennifer Justice (CEO, The Justice Dept.) w/ TOKiMONSTA – Takin’ Care of Lady Busine$$ (Live Podcast)
- Fat Tony – Keynote Interview
- LP Giobbi – Planet In Progress by FoundationFM (Production Masterclass)
- Elijah presents Yellow Squares (Founder, Make The Ting) — Social Media As A Canvas (Workshop)
- Cristiana Simon (Artist Manager, Alegria Agency) — Trust The Process (Discussion)
- Tom Schroeder (Executive VP, Wasserman) – Agent vs Promoter (Presidential Debate)
- David Sinopoli (Founder, iii Points; Co-Owner, Club Space) – Keynote Interview
Initial Topics For IMS Ibiza 2023
- Understanding the Unstoppable: AI Unravelled (Half-Day)
- Web3: Where to Now? (Half-Day)
- Diversity & Inclusivity: A Deep Discussion
- Aging in Club Culture, hosted by Jennifer Cardini
- Reclaim Your Rights: A Case Study by TaP Music Publishing w/ Ben Mawson & Anna Neville (TaP Music Publishing) & John Truelove (Truelove Music)
- Matters of the Mind: Understanding Neurodiversity hosted by AFEM (Association for Electronic Music)
- Agent vs. Promoter (Presidential Debate)
- AI: For & Against (Presidential Debate)
- The State of Electronic Music Journalism hosted by Shawn Reynaldo from First Floor
- How To…Sell Your Career Catalogue hosted by Maximilien Jazani (Founder, Catalogue Associates Limited)
IMS Regular Programming
- IMS Business Report 2023 + Analysis Q&A
- IMS Legends Dinner presented by YouTube
- IMS & Pioneer DJ present: Pioneer Award 2023
- IMS Visionaries Contest 2023: Entrepreneurial Competition
- IMS Dalt Vila + After-Party presented by Pioneer DJ & YouTube
- IMS presents The Art of Areté in partnership with Pioneer DJ
- IMS College in partnership with Point Blank Music School
- IMS Tech X
- Networking Drinks presented by Ultra Music
- Lounges presented by YouTube; Beatport; Deezer; Party Degenerates